A systematic approach to emotionally engaging supporters

As humans we like to be acknowledged and there is no doubt that referring to me as an individual trumps being treated like a number. But can we do better? Can we connect with supporters and engage them beyond the rational - references like the date I first donated - or more personal than using the name of my dog or cat?

Maybe we could learn a thing or two from the commercial sector – specifically the hotel industry. At a recent stay in a boutique hotel (which I could afford based on a special rate) a handwritten note was waiting for me in my room.

My emotional response was to feel special and a little bit important. The gesture differentiated my experience of this hotel from others I had stayed in. It’s clearly a better choice than the hotel with the moldy shower and the concierge with tomato sauce stains on his tie. And in such a comparison – assuming similar price points – it’s the clear winner.

However, does this hotel compare favourably to hotels of a similar calibre; boutique hotels which also employ tried and tested tactics to engage customers with a personal touch? How does that handwritten note - and the ethically sourced, Fairtrade chocolate sitting on my pillow - compare to my experience in a competitor’s hotel?

Let’s bring it back to fundraising: how will the handwritten with-comps-slip from CEO ‘A’ compare to the note from CEO ‘B’? Both organisations are sophisticated enough to know that I’ve supported their cause for three years and they each know the name of my dog (Rover). Each CEO is profoundly grateful for my support and hopes that I’ll donate again today. What will differentiate my experience of one organisation from the other?

What if CEO ‘A’ had notes from every conversation I’d ever had with the charity and those notes were used to inspire a more engaging message or a more valuable phone call? If we knew a grandchild’s name or the age of their children would we use that information? Knowledge of a changed address or Rover’s visit to the vet might provide a good conversation topic or an opportunity to ask further questions. Undoubtedly supporter service teams speak to people everyday who share such information and who would be more deeply engaged with a signatory who treated them like a person – not a donor.

When I checked out of the hotel I had the welcome note in my hand with the intention to ask the concierge how the process worked. Before I was able to broach the subject he asked me: “were you happy with the window in your room, Mr Bailey?” Apparently in a phone conversation three weeks earlier I had mentioned that I prefer a room with a window and this information was available to him the moment I told him my room number. On my third stay I was asked if I needed anything printed ahead of my presentation and if the busy tax appeal workload had eased up yet.

The point to this discussion isn’t that personal engagement is important. For me, the lesson we can learn is in the system employed by the hotel. An emotionally engaging approach needs to be systematically structured to ensure information is collected and used effectively. Team members need to be trained to engage supporters and to intuitively record conversations. And a CEO needs to subscribe to the approach and embrace it.

Most organisations use personalisation in their fundraising - many are very good at it. However, as more charities move into the boutique bracket of emotional engagement, the difference between charity A and charity B will be the information they collect and the way it’s used. If you want a supporter’s experience to stand out from the sauce-stained ties, or for your CEO to mention more than Rover’s name, develop a systematic approach to emotional engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment